To use our apps and configurations, please sign up for an ExpressVPN account first.
If you can’t use the ExpressVPN application (for example, you don’t have administrator permission on your computer), on Windows XP, you can manually setup a VPN connection using the L2TP VPN protocol. For this you’ll need a PPTP/L2TP/SSTP account. If you don’t already have one, please contact us.
To connect via L2TP on Windows XP:
- Follow the download link that you received, and download our dialer ZIP file:ExpressVPN_Windows_PPTP_and_L2TP_Dialers.zip
- Extract the ZIP file, and then choose one of the following two options:Note: The following steps won’t work if you’re just viewing the contents of the ZIP file. It needs to be extracted.
- If you’re in a country with censorship:Double-click the ExpressVPN_L2TP dialer. This avoids censorship more reliably, but requires some one-time configuration, as in the next step.
- Otherwise:Double-click the ExpressVPN_PPTP dialer. This may not avoid censorship, but is simpler to setup.
- If you’ve chosen to use L2TP, perform the following configuration steps. You only need to do this once, before the first time you connect:
- Click Properties:
- In the Security tab, select Advanced, and click Settings:
- Select Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2), and click OK:
- Back in the Security tab, click IPSec Settings.
- By Key, type: 12345678 , and click OK:
- Select a server location, and click Connect:
- Type the credentials for your ExpressVPN L2TP/PPTP account. If you don’t know your login information, please use this tutorial to find your account credentials.
That’s it! You’re connected.
To disconnect from the VPN, double-click the dialer file again, then click Hang Up.
The above instructions can also be used to setup a VPN connection using the PPTP or SSTP protocols. Just select the extracted ZIP file you want that corresponds to the type of VPN protocol you want. However, for better encryption and speed, we suggest you choose L2TP for your VPN connection.
NOTE: If you have trouble opening the pbk file, please use this tutorial to fix the issue.